Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart

The Vow Keeper

Wedding Officiant

Elopement & Wedding Photographer

LifeStyle Photographer

Day Of Wedding Coordinator

Wedding & Even​t Planner

Same-Sex LGBTQIA Elopement And Wedding

Joshua Tree National Park Elopement And Wedding

Making Memories Of A Day You Will Forever Cherish

For All Couples    (760) 399-6789    Serving Southern California

The Vow Keeper Celebrates Your LOVE Honoring All Faiths, Beliefs And Traditions

How To Change Your Name On Your Marriage License Application

If you want to change your name to a new married name after your wedding it is very simple to do so.

Just follow the directions below.

Here are the rules put together by the State and County to create a new name on your marriage license


You do not have to change your name if you don't want to.

If you do, the information below will give you the options that the county clerk allows.

One or both parties to a marriage may elect to change the MIDDLE or LAST NAMES by which that party wishes to be known after solemnization of the marriage.

Each party applying for a marriage license may choose to include on their marriage license the new name in the spaces provided on the marriage license application without intent to defraud.

Changing one’s name through the marriage license process can ONLY be done at the time the marriage license is issued by the County Clerk or authorized Notary Public, as applicable.

You may not amend it afterwards so make sure you choose your new name wisely.

Note you may NOT change your FIRST NAME with this process only your MIDDLE AND LAST NAMES

Each party to the marriage may adopt any of the following LAST NAMES:

The current last name of the other spouse.

The last name of either spouse given at birth.

A name combining into a single last name all or a segment of the current last name or the last name               of either spouse given at birth.

A hyphenated combination of last names.

Each party to the marriage may adopt any of the following MIDDLE NAMES:

The current last name of either spouse.

The last name of either spouse given at birth.

A hyphenated combination of the current middle name and the current last name of the person or spouse.

A hyphenated combination of the current middle name and the birth last name of the person or spouse.

NOTE: You may NOT change your FIRST NAME using this process.

The marriage certificate is used by multiple local, state, federal and private agencies, each of which have different rules and/or regulations regarding what documents are acceptable to change your name on their records following marriage. It is recommended that you contact these agencies to verify their requirements prior to applying for your marriage license.

It is unlawful for our employees to answer questions of a legal nature. Our staff cannot advise you how to complete the marriage license application as it relates to your entry of a new name or retention of your former name on the marriage license application.

For your protection, if you have any questions regarding whether you should or should not list your new name on the marriage license application, and/or how the Name Equality Act of 2007 may affect you, please consult an attorney prior to applying for your marriage license.

How To Change Your name After You Are Married

This Information Is For California Residents Only.

If you live in another State or Country you will need to contact them directly

for information on changing your name

I Just Got Married, and I received my Certified Copies Of My Marriage License

from the county recorder's clerks office,

How do I change my Name?

1st go to Social Security (SSA)


      Wait 5 to 7 business days


2nd go to DMV


You Should Do It In That Order. See below for further instructions.


Social Security (SSA)

You must fill out and print an Application for a Social Security Card.

The online application may be found here: CLICK HERE FOR SOCIAL SECURITY FORM 

Social Security Information Change Your Name

Take your application and documents to your local Social Security office.

You Must Show The Required Valid Documents

  • State Recorded Certified Copy Of Marriage Certificate (NOT the customer copy)
  • Current valid form of ID: a U.S. State ID, U.S. Driver’s License, OR U.S. Passport.

Please also note: If you have not already established U.S. citizenship with SSA, you will need to show proof of this.

SSA will accept the following as proof of citizenship: original U.S. birth certificate OR U.S. passport.

California DMV

  • To change your name on your California driver’s license or ID you will need to visit your local DMV office and Complete a Driver License or ID card Application (Form DL 44).
  • Get the form in person at the DMV or have it mailed to you by calling (800) 777-0133.
  • Provide your Certified Copy Marriage Certificate as your proof of name change.
  • Surrender your old CA driver’s license or ID.
  • You will also need to pay an application fee of $27 or $29.